Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend Movie Reviews

Sly B and I have spent our weekend so far doing mas mas yard work, and watching movies. We have curb appeal! And now have 4 additional movies filed away in our noggins.

On Saturday, we got up early and did a few things outside (her) and around the house (me). Then we hit the Longmont Farmers' Market, which we highly recommend to anyone who finds him/herself in our hometown on a Saturday, and bought a nice cherry tomato to replace the one that just didn't make it. We got a nice heirloom cherry called Sun Gold. Then we went to the first showing of Iron Man at our favorite theater. I'm not an Iron Man comic geek yet, and only knew the most surface-level of stories. I LOVED this movie and plan to pick up the graphic novels. I give it 5 out of 5 nipples, and defy the Gweneth Paltrow haters out there by saying she made an awesome Pepper Potts. Robert Downey Jr. was awesome.


Next we hit our Netflix DVDs, starting with Bird, a biopic covering the sad life of Charlie Parker. I am a big fan of Forest Whitaker, who rocked as Parker. This was a long film with a huge amount of music in it. We liked this one quite a bit, but both found it really sad. Even if you don't like jazz, this is still a good depiction of a man's self-destruction. I give it 3 out of 5 nipples. I would have gone with 4 had the film been a bit shorter.


Last night, after doing more yard and house work, we started out with Dan in Real Life. I didn't know what to expect with this one, knowing only that I like Steve Carell. It's a pretty much canned romantic comedy. White guy meets white girl, they can't be together, they struggle and decide to stay apart, but their love is too special and unique to keep them apart, they marry. This story has a few twists - Dan is a widower, his 3 daughters are pretty awesome, and the girl is his brother's girlfriend. Even so, I was 100% "meh" over this one. 2 out of 5 nipples.


Finally, last night, we watched Cloverfield, the "American godzilla." The acting was horrendous, but the monster was pretty cool. The plot is pretty close to the plot of 30 Days Later, except with a big green monster instead of zombies, and in New York instead of London. I give this one 2 out of 5 nipples. It is a very fast 1.5 hours. If you can make it to the first sighting of the monster (which takes WAY too long), it's worth watching.

Today, we are excited to be having Sly B's bro and his family over for some smoked ribs and some fun. It's rainy in Longmont this morning, but I'm still lighting the charcoal, fuck it. This evening, we'll likely watch Narnia, which Sly B's mama bought me, and maybe episode 1 of Wire in the Blood Season 2, the entire season of which is sitting on the DVR.

No comments: