Saturday, December 08, 2007

Waitress - Movie Review

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Nathan Fillion is our captain.

Last night, Sly B and I watched an enjoyed the new-to-DVD Waitress, starring Keri Russell, Nathan, Cheryl Hines (who we love from Curb Your Enthusiasm), and the always creepy Jeremy Sisto. Even though it joins a few others in this year's strange and retro-seeming trend of unhappily-pregnant-but-not-even-considering-an-abortion-even-though-the-babydaddy-sucks flicks (see also Knocked Up and Juno), Waitress stands out as unique and uncanned. The characters in the film are interesting, unhappy, and fantastic in their struggles.

In one touching scene, Old Joe, played by a sweet Andy Griffith, tells Keri Russell's Jenna that she is his only friend. That moment stands for me as representative of the movie -- it's important moments, the film seems to be saying, that are worth living for.

I'm going to go ahead and give this one 4 out of 5 ________ (and yes, I am still waiting for someone to come up with a brilliant unit of measurement for these ratings).

No comments: