Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I Don't Get It


I LOVE John Waters. I have been a big fan for decades. His film Pecker is one of my all time favorites. I was disappointed when I listened to an interview with him on Fresh Air the other day, and then read his blog on The Huffington Post. Both were about his new book, Role Models, in which he dedicates a chapter to the parole of Leslie Van Houten (convicted Manson family murderer).

What gets me most about the recent media tour John Waters is not that he supports Van Houten. I don't have much of a position on her case. What I don't get is why celebrities aren't screaming their bloody heads off right now about Leonard Peltier's parole. This man has been a political prisoner in this country since the 70s for a crime even the Feds admit he did not commit. It is time for him to be allowed to go home.

Read more about Leonard's case here. Call the White House.

No comments: