Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Perspective

Today I've been thinking about my place in this big bad world, what I spend my time doing, and why. As detailed previously here, I serve the Evil Empire for a pretty decent paycheck and benefits that most of the people Sly B and I care about could really benefit from more than we do. That's something . . .

Outside of the EE, though, is really where I live. I think the people I work with day in, day out for years would be shocked at what I'm thinking most of the time. Most of the time I'm thinking: "You are an asshat." Sometimes I'm thinking: "I understand why people become whistleblowers." Once in a while I'm thinking: "I could work at Starbucks and be happier."

Here's a sampling of what I dealt with today:
  • the "importance" of an arbitrary August deadline for something that is already finished during a 45 minute conference call
  • an ego contest between two very bitchy women, both of whom are wrong and evil
  • another 45 minute conference call that covered how to distribute a powerpoint file to 17 people (who all have access to the same server, where said powerpoint file is stored)
  • a struggle with people who, instead of just being cool, insist on playing along with the passive/aggressive game
Here's some of what's important to me:
  • we have the first ever person of color as a major party candidate for POTUS in the year 2008. I got pinged by a fellow blogger who wants feminists to write in Clinton in the polling booth - Wilco Tango Foxtrot stupid white feminists. Stop calling - I am no longer taking your calls
  • Sly B and I are very lucky to have our health. We get to help take care of the people we love because the EE lets me come and sit on my ass there for 50 or 60 hours a week. I'll take it
  • life is too short
Okay, Sly B is watching a scientific show on orgasm. I don't think I should miss this.

No comments: