Friday, January 11, 2008

Book Review - Acacia: Book One, The War With the Mein


I did as much reading as possible during our recent two week vacation. (Two weeks of vacation, by the way, is the way to go if you have the privilege to do it.) One of the books I finished during that time was Acacia: Book One, The War With the Mein by David Anthony Durham. I won a signed copy of this one from one of my favorite podcasts, The Dragon Page: Cover to Cover.

I really enjoyed Acacia, and highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys the Epic Fantasy genre. The story is expansive, and covers the political landscape of Durham's universe, called The Known World. The book is broken into four sections, three of which Durham calls "Books" plus an Epilogue. It's 576 pages long, currently in hardcover only, and sells for $26.95 US. The chapters are short, which I really prefer, so the story moves along at a quick pace.

The story starts with a Meinish assassin, riding out to carry out his destiny: to kill the Acacian King and restore his family's rule over The Known World. Book One follows his attempt (no spoilers) as well as the lives of the ruling family's children. The Akaran family has ruled in Acacia for generations, while the Meins have been exiled in the frozen North. Book Two picks the story up 10 years later, and follows the war that is well underway. Book Three ends the war, and resolves the battle between the Akaran and Mein families in a really surprising way.

I loved this book because the world Durham has built, and the characters that reside within, are multi-cultural. It's a refreshing thing in this genre within which I'm just starting my adolescence. I don't know enough to speak for the entire genre, but with what I've devoured within the genre, people of color have not been present except as evil outlanders (Tolkien), scary conquerers from across the sea (Jordan), or fun sidekicks who have minor roles (King). In Acacia, the ruling Akaran family is brown. The armies of the south have skin as black as coal. And the revolting force from the North is a white race. Also, the women in this universe play pivotal parts - so far - in the politics and wars we follow.

Of course, multi-culturalism isn't enough to keep my interest. This is an exciting story, with some really subtle big ideas. The story is really about Empire: how an Empire is made, how it becomes invisible to those who benefit from it, and how difficult it is to imagine another way of living once it has been established.

If you're looking for a good read, check this one out. I'm going with 5 out of 5 nipples (and yes, I did say nipples. I'm stealing my unit of measurement from Jack Mangan until someone else comes up with a better one).

7 comments:

David Anthony Durham said...

EssBee,

Thank you.

-David.

EssBee said...

Wow! David commented! If I'd have known he'd read the post, I'd have spent more time writing it!

Really looking forward to Book 2, David. Bring it on . . .

David Anthony Durham said...

Okay. I'm working on it. It'll be a little while until it gets into print, but do know that I'm well into it and it's getting pretty meaty, complicated, big, etc, etc.

It helps, by the way, to know that folks like yourself want the thing!

EssBee said...

Can't wait, David! Can't wait!

Can you share any tidbits? Will there be any gay characters in Book 2?

:)

David Anthony Durham said...

Hey, I just noticed your last question today, after your kind comments on The Other Lands showed up!

Quick answer... well, now you know, or don't, or suspect... I'm not sure.

From my point of view, there are several gay characters in the book. Four by my count. Thing is, their sexual orientation isn't that much of an issue. They're all caught up in dealing with big stuff, and that's what they're most focused on.

David Anthony Durham said...

Hey, I just noticed your last question today, after your kind comments on The Other Lands showed up!

Quick answer... well, now you know, or don't, or suspect... I'm not sure.

From my point of view, there are several gay characters in the book. Four by my count. Thing is, their sexual orientation isn't that much of an issue. They're all caught up in dealing with big stuff, and that's what they're most focused on.

EssBee said...

I've caught 3 of the 4 that you mention, and sure, they are a bit busy to be talking about their sexual orientation!

The story is so wonderful - I think, at least right now, that Dariel is my favorite character (straight or gay, obviously) in the story.

By the way, I did listen to the audiobook of Acacia for a 2nd read before diving into The Other Lands, and thought the audio version was very nice too.