Friday, August 24, 2007

Random Thoughts for a Friday

I can't make up my mind about what to post today, so I'll just string together a bunch of random thoughts:

2Rays: Peppermint Schnapps makes me think of my grandpa, and other guys who drink out of flasks. Awesome. Also, very hot Whedon reference. You just scored 200 geek points which, if you don't know, is more than catching the golden snitch.

Sly B and I watched one of my favorite Buffy episodes last night. It was Restless which is the Season 4 finale. If you've seen it, it's the one where Buffy, Willow, Xander, and Giles get together to watch videos after defeating Adam, fall asleep, and are pursued in their dreams by the first Slayer. It's an important episode in the Buffyverse for tons of reasons, but what I picked out and loved last night is that it's really the turning point at which Buffy realizes that she has some agency and doesn't have to save the world alone. In perfect Whedon-speak, she tells the first Slayer, "you are not The Source of me" and then launches right into some advice for the savage first slayer about her hair and making an impression. It's a good one.

I recently read Rent Girl by Michelle Tea, and loved it. It's a graphic novel with really unique art. Yes, Ironic, I'm all GN now. It's autobiographical about when Tea was struggling to survive by selling her ass. I won't say too much more because I want you all to read it (if you want to). It's interesting because it gives us a rare glimpse into the phenomena of queer girls who whore.

Don't you girls like growing up? I am having so much fun figuring out who I am, and what I dig. It's an ongoing process, and every shitty thing that happens teaches me a lesson I needed to learn.

No comments: