Thursday, August 02, 2007

Podcast Slut

I have been an iPodder for about a year and a half now, and I am totally obsessed. Hear me out, though, before you start picturing me dancing and twirling like the folks in the iPod commercials. While I do love almost everything about my iPod, and do listen to music on it while dancing and twirling sometimes, I am really truly obsessed with the thing only as far as it serves to catch the several podcasts that I can't seem to do without.

If you don't know what a podcast is, it's simply audio and/or video files that are recorded and made available for download. There are tons of podcasts out there on every topic you can imagine. Some are recorded independently and some are professionally produced radio shows made available in this portable media format as well. Most of them are free, and all you really need to start catching them is an internet connection and some free software. I use iTunes, and synch what I download onto my computer with my iPod so that I can have these things with me in my pocket for whenever I find a spare moment to listen.

What I am learning to appreciate more and more is the independent podcasters who do this because they love it. These are the guys who don't charge, and who don't get paid except through occasional advertisers. I listen to a pretty long list of podcasts. I know you care, so I'll list them. Showing you all this list is a little bit like letting you read my diary, just so you know. But you already knew I was a geek, right?

No comments: