Friday, June 15, 2007

Speaking of Assholes . . .

***Spoiler Alert. Herein be Sopranos finale spoilers.***

I might be one of the only people on the planet, but I frakkin' loved the way David Chase ended The Sopranos. I have read, seen, and heard nothing but complaints about it, so I thought I'd throw a few positive comments into the blogosphere.

At the end of the episode, I was left with the feeling that Tony and those left standing were just going to keep on keepin' on; that our voyeristic stint was over, but that the story itself was not. Tony will keep on running from the feds and looking over his shoulder, Carmella will keep on holding the family together in her manipulative way, and life will go on.

The entire show has been a study of us as much as it was a study of the New Jersey mafia. For me, it made me look at how I could sympathize, and even love, such a horrible character. Tony is truly despicable, but can't we all identify with a part of his life? I'm glad that Chase didn't end it with a bang. I didn't need a big shake up, or a bunch more body bags to be satisfied.

I think that the bad Journey song playing in the background, "Don't Stop Believing," is significant. The message for me is, "Hey, it's just life. It's gonna be okay"

No comments: