Saturday, June 03, 2006

Not Much to Say . . .

Thank you, Berna! This was a really enjoyable read. For me, it was one of those books so full and rich that I want to revisit it again later.

Reading the book reminded me a lot of Garcia Marquez. The magical realism of the story is what I love the most about it. Teresita is just a girl, Tomas' daughter, Huila's apprentice, yet also a messianic figure. She inspires Lauro Aguirre to start a political newspaper in Texas (he ran from the law and ended up there, sure, but Teresita is his inspiration).

I think the entire theme of the book comes from Teresita when, in answer to Tomas' question: what do you know of politics? she says, "'God gave this land to these people . . . Other people want this land and are stealing it'" (350). For Teresita, it's as simple as that, and it is!

I think Urrea is saying that extraordinary times call for extraordinary events -- like a girl messiah who heals her people and inspires a revolution.

I LOVED it! I don't have much to say, but I did . . .

No comments: