Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Wait, what?

Today was an interesting day for homophobia. First, the nut who shot up the church in Tennessee lists one of his reasons for doing so as the fact that the church welcomed gay people. Then, Orson Scott Card proved once again that he is a raging, frothing-at-the-mouth homophobe. If you can stand it, his spew is here. One of the highlights is that pro-gay activists will make it one day impossible for guys like him (who just want their kids to understand that gals like me aren't fully human like him) to raise their kids without queers in sight. I mean heck, he wants to home school his kids so they don't have to read about anal fisting -- no, wait, that's not it -- make that gay marriage in school. He also wants nice straight couples to overthrow the government. Don't believe me? Check it out. He's written worse -- this one is actually pretty mild for him.

Lots of very smart folks who blog much more seriously than I do commented on Card's stuff. You can check some of the best of it out here, here, and here.

When I sit at home with my babe, I have to wonder what about us is so threatening to these kind of guys. Most of the time, I'm pretty good at brushing this stuff off as nonsense, but today it kind of got to me. The best response I can come up with tonight is: Dudes, keep that crazy shit at home.

No comments: