Wednesday, February 22, 2006

A missed opportunity

I am late getting in on this but had a difficult time plowing through this book. While it was mildly interesting, I agreed with Berna that it represented the passive woman. I found Henry a bit pathetic---I had more hope for his daughter.

Initially, I thought we might see a good discussion about free will vs. determinism but clearly that was too optimistic. It turned out to be a narcisitic trip about poor Henry and his long suffering wife. I didn't really see the connection of a deep love that seems to be the hook that the book uses to lure readers. Instead, I was unsettled by the relationship they had when she was a young girl. The connection at a young age established his power and her aquiescence to it which continued throughout the novel.

No comments: